Hosted by the wonderful ladies at The Broke and the Bookish.
This week’s topic is Top 10 Popular Authors I’ve Never Read. Here goes nothing (please don’t throw things at me)…
1) Jenny Han I KNOW. I have The Summer I Met You on my Kindle, and have had for a while, but have yet to dive in. Maybe because I’ve heard so many good things and am worried it will disappoint? I don’t know. But I will read it soon.
2) E. Lockhart See the above. I’m an idiot. I borrowed The Boyfriend List from the library ages ago and didn’t read it before I had to give it back. Bad Hannah.
3) Tahereh Mafi Everyone else seems to have read her books except for me… And they sound like they would be right up my street. I really have no excuses for this.
4) Stephen King Horror really doesn’t hold much interest for me, although I have a couple of friends who rave about his stuff and I’m sure he’s a good writer. Maybe one day.
5) Nora Roberts Given that she has two shelves all to herself in my local bookshop, I can’t complain that I have too few books of hers to choose from, and I’m partial to a romantic read every now and again…
6) Martina Cole So far as I can gather, she writes violent crime, East-End-of-London gangster books. Nothing about this appeals to me.
7) Catherine Cookson I suppose she’d still be described as popular – I think her books are still among the most borrowed in British libraries, anyway. Writer of depressing fiction about people with little money who have to do horrible things in order to survive – or at least, this is what I’ve gleaned from seeing snippets of TV adaptations over the years.
I can’t think of any more to add to the list… Although there are a couple that I wish I could add to my list if it would remove the memory of the books from my mind (Angels and Demons and Tess of the d’Urbevilles spring to mind. Ugh)